Monday, November 30, 2009

Ramona

Last week a friend of mine passed away. She is familiar to many people in my area, and has touched the lives of countless others in places I'm sure I don't even know about. We weren't best friends or particularly close, but I just felt that I needed to talk a little bit about what a spectacular person she was.

Ramona was diagnosed with cancer about 3 years ago. She had only been married for about a year (I forget if it was just before or just after her first wedding anniversary) to a truly amazing guy, Earl Reimer. I'm not sure exactly how old Ramona was when she passed away, but I know she was younger than me, and as such way too young to leave this mortal coil behind.

Ramona was serving as an Assistant Director at Beaver Creek Bible Camp when she got diagnosed with cancer. I was also at BCBC that summer as staff, and it is from this time that my most vivid memory of Ramona is from. Earl and Ramona had gone to Winnipeg for a doctor's appointment, and returned in the evening before we began our evening music/worship time. Ramona was our piano player (and what a gifted musician she was!), so we were glad she was back in time for our music event.

To see Ramona that night, you had no idea she had just gotten diagnosed with cancer. She took her place at the piano, smiled, and performed like everything was fine. I had no idea until later that she had gotten the cancer diagnosis that day.

This situation, to me, sums up Ramona to a tee. Her love for God was absolute, and she had a heart for sharing Him with everyone. Even faced with such terrible news, she put others, and God, ahead of herself when most people probably wouldn't have. This attitude remained constant throughout Ramona's entire battle with cancer; through her blog and travels for various therapies and retreats, Ramona brought an amazing message of faith and love wherever she went.

A year after the diagnosis of cancer, Ramona and Earl returned to BCBC as Assistant Directors once again. While I was not at camp very long that summer, I heard many a tale of how moved the campers were by Ramona's story, and how inspired they were by her example. Many a life was changed that summer just by Ramona's presence at BCBC.

I also need to add a small note here about her husband, Earl. Through all of the adversity Ramona has faced, Earl has been there, being supportive, fighting alongside her; there was no doubt at all that he loves her completely. A lesser man may have thought of leaving when the going got tough, but Earl remained strong and steadfast the entire time. I can only hope that I prove to be as good a husband to my wife as Earl was to Ramona.

While her time on Earth may have been brief, Ramona's light shined brighter and farther than most, and she is a truly great example of how God is able to touch others through great adversity and tragedy. She did her Father's work, and I believe that makes her happy.

You will be missed Ramona. If anyone that knew Ramona wants to attend her funeral, it is Wednesday morning at 11:00 AM at the Morweena Church, and there is also a service being held in Winnipeg, 7:00 at Calvary Temple.

1 comment:

  1. this was beautiful jay... i also vividly remember that day at bcbc, when she was diagnosed, but i had already spoken to earl on the phone before they got back and knew it was cancer... so i didn't have the same perspective as you, but i'm glad you shared it... and you're right, that was ramona. choosing to glorify God and focus on Him instead of focusing on her own struggles... she was an incredible woman, and incredible friend, and an incredible follower of Christ. i already miss her deeply.

    ReplyDelete