Tuesday, November 3, 2009

ComicCon Costumes, Part 1

One fun thing about ComicCon's is the costumes. A lot of work goes into many of the costumes (some not so much!), so it's great for the creators to have a place to show off their work. They are also amongst the most popular people at the Con, as they constantly get requests for pictures. When asked to pose for a picture, these people never complain, as it is a huge compliment. A lot of people even drop into a pose without being asked, which makes their costume look even better.

Here is a selection of costumes from the ComicCon that I photographed. I didn't get pictures of many of the costumes there (and I regret missing out on some now), but here is a nice sampling. I'll provide information for you on who they are dressed up as and any neat notes about the costume. And just for fun, if I can find an image of who they are dressed up as, I'll post it for comparison. I'll do a few of these throughout the week to showcase the fabulous work these people put into their costumes.



To be honest, I originally thought this girl was Princess Toadstool from Mario Bros. However, I realized when I uploaded the picture that she is in fact Kaylee from the television show Firefly, a show that I cannot recommend highly enough. Firefly only lasted one season but developed a cult following when the show hit DVD; you can pick up the whole series for less than $30, I suggest you do so!


Also from Firely, Captain Mal Reynolds. I tried to find a picture that showed that this guy nailed how Mal wears his gunbelt, but couldn't find one that showed off the coat well enough. Oh well, this guy's costume still rocked.


Here we have Master Chief, from the video game series "Halo". This guy did an amazing job; if he wasn't moving you'd swear he was a statue, not a guy in a suit.



For the life of me I couldn't figure out who this guy is supposed to me, and it's bugging me. I'm sure I'll kick myself when I find out. It's hard to see in the pictures, but his eyes were actually lit up blue as well.



Here is my friend Glenn as the Punisher. A Punisher costume can be really easy (black pants, skull t-shirt, black coat) but Glenn went the extra mile by adding various pouches to the costume that make a big difference. I forgot to ask if he brought the toy guns he'd altered the last time he dressed up as the Punisher.



Ghost Rider is another character that can be easy to do; put on a leather jacket, black pants, and a skull mask and you're done. This guy outdid himself by actually riding around the Con on his chopper-style bike with the flames coming out of his head. Those who have seen the Ghost Rider movie will recognize the classic "You..." pose from the movie.

Hope you enjoyed the costumes, I'll put more up later this week!

1 comment:

  1. some of those are really neat! The ghost rider one in particular is impressive ~ Great pictures Jay!

    ReplyDelete