Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dude Looks Like a Lady

This week I was asked a question; would I be willing to skip a team of beginner's this year in curling? Now, considering I am a certified curling instructor and I love to curl, this might not seem too strange. What makes it strange is I was asked if I'd do so in the Women's League.

This year I have been offering curling lessons at work, and I got a really good response; 13 people signed up for the lessons, which are ridiculously cheap at $20 for 4 weeks of instruction. The goal of the lessons is to "grow" more curlers in Riverton, to help increase our curling club membership. Well, there are some beginners who want to curl in the regular league but cannot get on a team (because they're full) and all of the women who want to skip already are. So I was asked if I'd be willing to do it.

I was hesitant at first, mostly because I was worried that some of the women might get upset by a guy curling on Monday's. I also thought it might feel kind of weird to be the only guy on the ice. But, I have been assured that the other skips were consulted and they don't have a problem with it, so we're going to give this a try.

There definitely are some perks to curling in the ladies league. I get to curl twice a week (three times while lessons are going on; if I don't get good this year I never will!), which is good for getting some more exercise and improving my game. More importantly, Sarah is one of the members of the team, so I get to curl with my wife! She also takes the curling lessons I'm offering so while I have always hoped she'd curl with me at some point I never thought we'd be doing so twice a week!

If this situation was made into a movie, and I had to pick the music for the first time I step onto the ice at ladies' league, I can't decide if the most appropriate theme song would be "Dude Looks Like a Lady" or that "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" song. The Bearded Lady is on the ice!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Jay. You are hilarous. What about the song by Shania Twain, " Man, I Feel Like a Woman"? You actually may be following in the steps of your brother in law who insisted on being on the girls field hockey team when he was in grade 6 because there was no boys team.
    Good luck and have fun. ~B

    ReplyDelete