Monday, November 9, 2009

H1N1 Shenanigans

I will admit that I'm not the most informed person in the world on the H1N1 virus...there is so much conflicting information and (from what I can tell) media over-hype going on it's hard to know what is accurate and what is sensationalism.

I've seen multiple articles stating that the H1N1 virus is actually less dangerous than the common flu. Yet there are such extraordinary measures being taken to prevent the spread of it, it makes you wonder if it's more dangerous than the common flu.

Regardless, I think some of the "measures" being taken are ridiculous. My primary example is a volleyball tournament I refereed on Saturday. I was told that the players were not to shake hands with other teams during the tournament. All of the players said it was really awkward to wish the other team a good game without shaking hands. I told them they could wave at each other if they wanted.

But what gets me is this is volleyball; even if hands aren't shaken, everybody is still touching the same disease-infested ball (my term, not one from the health muckity-mucks). Everyone is still diving around on the same dirt-covered floor. And all of the players (within their team) were constantly slapping hands with each other on the court anyway! And don't tell anyone, but when the Gimli coach gave me a break partway through the day, he used my whistle. Sshhh!

I think our society is becoming a bunch of germ-o-phobes, honestly. Our bodies need exercise, and so do our immune systems. If they never have anything to fight off, when something serious comes along we'd have no defense.

Now, this all being said, I'm not commenting on the vaccination. Some people want it, fair enough. Others don't, I think that's fair too. Everyone is entitled to their own choice in the matter. While I choose not to get it, I have no problem with the decision others have made to get it. I do think though that people not in the priority group should probably head to the back of the line though.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the fact that our society is becoming germaphobic. The immune system does need to be able to handle the small stuff, so it can survive the big stuff!

    I once worked with a lady that was totally befuddled as to why her and her kids were constantly getting sick. I mean, she used Lysol disinfecting spray everywhere, and often! Little did she know they had a crappy immune system because of it!

    ReplyDelete