Thursday, February 4, 2010

Old Friends, Good Times

I'm in Winnipeg for a conference right now, and while I was in I thought it would be a good time to reconnect with some of my old Olive Garden friends. While I don't miss serving tables, I really did work with some great people.

I started a tradition at the Olive Garden (it lasted a few years, don't know if it still happens now) of a karaoke party to celebrate the ending of the Never Ending Pasta Bowl promotion. After that a group of us started going karaoke somewhat regularly, and we kept at it until the karaoke bar we frequented (which was really close to work) closed.

So, I thought doing a karaoke party as a way to catch up would be fun, and man was I right! We went to a place called Muz Karaoke; unlike a bar, you rent a private room so it's just you and your friends. If you want to talk, you can talk, and if you want to karaoke, you don't have to wait through 2 hours of people you don't know before you get your turn! The facility definitely caters to Asian customers, since English was the second language in the song books (and there was about 1/3 English songs to whatever the Asian language was), but it was a lot of fun.

We thought there were going to be about 10 of us, but in the end there was only 4 of us. Still, we took turns singing individually, doing some duets; sometimes someone would grab up the second microphone and join you on the chorus or harmony, it was a ton of fun. We booked the room for 3 hours, but were having so much fun we stayed for an extra hour and a half. The room rates were very reasonable as well; on a weekday, you can get a room for an hour and a half for $25 (including taxes).

I really loved getting together with my old friends again, and hope to do so again too. Thanks Colleen, Pasith, and Penni!

No comments:

Post a Comment