Friday, February 12, 2010

Losing What Is So Easy To Gain

Man, I wish my title was talking about money. ;)

I've been working at losing weight lately, but I want to make sure I keep my motivation up, so I thought maybe I'd start blogging about my weight loss adventure, kind of as an accountability/support thing.

I'm ashamed to admit it, at one point I weighed 314 pounds. That's what happens when you don't exercise and eat too much of the wrong things. I think I was operating under the impression at that time that exercise had to be running on a treadmill or an exercise bike, when really that isn't necessarily the case.

When I was in high school, I liked to get my exercise through sports, and while I lived in Winnipeg I stopped doing that because I wasn't really sure how to go about getting into sports in the city. Or more likely that was just my excuse. I'm getting back to sports now, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm curling 2-3 days a week (not counting a couple of bonspiels coming up), which isn't the most intense form of exercise but it's certainly better than sitting on the couch. I'm also playing indoor soccer in Winnipeg Beach once a week, and man do I wish it was more than once a week! Just last year I got back into soccer and hadn't realized how much I'd missed it. I've also been using the in-laws treadmill whenever we are in the city, and soon I'll be getting an elliptical machine that my parents are no longer using.

Anyway, at this point I'm sitting at about 282 pounds. Still way too much, but I'm plugging away at it. I'm down a belt loop on my pants since about a month ago and I've got clothes that are starting to fit better or just plain fit again. I don't think I'll ever get below 200 pounds, even though the Body Mass Index says 180 is my ideal weight (don't be fooled, BMI doesn't consider body build; all of the U of M Bisons men's volleyball team are actually above their "ideal" BMI, and I guarantee those guys are in shape!). I'm thinking that with my fairly broad build if I can get to 220 I'll be good. I admit, part of me wants to try get down to 199, just to say I broke 200, but I don't know if that's actually feasible without getting deathly ill.

So from time to time I'll post updates on how my weight loss is doing. I'm hoping that by talking about it on the blog I can keep my motivation going.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Jay, this is a good way of garnering support. You have so much going for you, you are young, you have a love of sports and a good support network going on. You are on the right track and should be able to make it. Sometimes it helps to know your 'triggers'. Such as do you eat out of boredom, unhappiness or cave to cravings ? Then you can recognize your strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about seeing other things as exercise! Cleaning the house or doing laundry (with all the up and down the stairs and bending and stretching) is a huge workout! Good for you for being aware of what your body needs and taking action.
    Chances are that being under 200 would be fine as long as you are just losing at a slow steady pace, it's when people go on strange diets and lose way too much too fast that their body just can't take it. It'll take a while, that's normal. Whether you make to your magic number or not doesn't matter so much as leading an active, healthy life. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew what this post was about as soon as I saw the title, because I too struggle with this. It is SO EASY to gain!

    I highly recommend the book Thin Within. It will totally change your view of food, eating, etc. Plus it is a devotional, so it will bring you closer to God! I also found it helped me with my confidence levels. Plus it is only $12 bucks!

    I am jealous of the eliptical machine! I love those, and hopefully I will get one some day. But right now we just have NO room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jay, I'm really impressed by your courage and vulnerability. Seriously, you rock! I wish you the best as you try to achieve you health goals - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete