Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why I Hate "The Bachelor"

My wife may not want to read this post, since she's a fan of the show!

I really, really can't stand The Bachelor. Sarah likes to watch it, though she's had to miss it most weeks this season because she is curling on Monday nights. But if it's on and we're both home, I usually head down to the Mancave.

I have a real problem with the whole scenario of the Bachelor. One guy simultaneously dates 30 women, supposedly looking for true love? I'm sorry, but in the real world, a guy who dates even 2 women at the same time is a complete sleezebag, let alone 30! But because it's on television, it's okay? A guy dating 30 women isn't looking for love, he's looking for cheap thrills on a television company's dime.

It's not like the guy is just hanging out with these women to see who he clicks with and then starts dating one; I wouldn't have as big a problem with that. By the end of the season he is seriously dating several women, and they're all okay with this?

The guys that are on the show get played up as these really great, stand-up guys, but as I recall, the guy who was featured on the last season of the Bachelor proposed to one girl on the Season Finale (before the follow-up show), but then broke up with her to get engaged to one of the other girls? Yeah, he's a real stand-up guy this one. If he wasn't sure, he shouldn't have proposed, simple as that. The show is supposedly dealing with real people's feelings and emotions, therefore I don't care how dramatic an end the proposal made, it shouldn't have been done.

I get that women like to watch tv shows/movies about true love and all that, but really, if I told you I was dating 30 women at a time, would you think it romantic, or think I was the biggest jerk on the planet?

I've vote jerk.

1 comment:

  1. I find the only way to enjoy reality TV is to treat the people involved as fictional characters, which isn't entirely divorced from the self-promoted reality these shows actually display.

    That said, I'd rather fictional womanizer Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother, since from what you describe, the guy here isn't nearly as unique and hilarious as NPH's character.

    ReplyDelete