Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Review: Curl To Win


Recently I picked up "Curl To Win" by Russ Howard. For those unaware, Russ Howard is an Olympic Gold Medalist in curling, teaming with Brad Gushue at the 2006 Winter Olympics. Howard has enjoyed a long and successful curling career.

I find it a little hard to categorize Curl To Win. In many ways it is a resource to improve your own curling game, but it isn't as technical as a coaching manual would be. There are also many stories of Howard's own experiences, which adds that personal element you wouldn't get in most "how to" or improvement books.

In the end, I like the blend of the two styles. The book is very reader-friendly, as you get to hear stories of past Brier's and and the Olympics instead of simply being told to "do this" or "do that". The book is also extremely friendly to new curlers; the first chapter or two is all about introducing and explaining the game to beginners. Experienced curlers could easily skip this part of the book, and when I reread the book I'm sure I will be skipping that part too, but I'm glad it's there as it sets a good framework for the rest of the book.

I tend to disagree with a couple of things Howard says in the book, but that doesn't mean he's wrong; I'm by no means arrogant enough to think I know more about curling than Russ Howard. He's been curling for a long time, but for example, he recommends the lift delivery when throwing a curling stone (where you lift the stone off of the ice in a backswing motion before throwing it). I am in the camp that likes the no-lift delivery better; hefting a 42 pound rock when I don't have to seems harder on the back and there is also a smaller margin of error when delivering the rock. To be fair, even though Howard recommends you progress to the lift delivery, the book still shows you how to do the no-lift delivery as well, leaving the choice up to you.

The book also contains pictures of Howard (or other curlers) to demonstrate all of the techniques in the book, which is a great visual aid. He also demonstrates some classic mistakes as well, which is nice for comparison. The pictures are especially helpful in the section dealing with various curling drills; as a curling coach I'm always looking for new drills, and the book was very helpful on that front.

I really liked the section dealing with the importance of each position on the team. Rather than write these sections himself, Howard went out and got other curlers who are at the top of the field in their chosen position to write about it. Howard has been a skip for a great many years, so it was nice to hear about the skills needed and importance of the lead from someone who plays and loves the position. I definitely want to have my curling team read that section of the book.

I think Curl To Win is a great resource for anyone that wants to learn to curl or refine their game. I would have liked to maybe see a little more technical stuff later on in the book for the more advanced curler, but the book still has a lot of value.

I give it 4 curling stones out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment