Thursday, January 7, 2010

Arizona Weather

I think this'll be my last post about Arizona, but I had to share about the weather in Arizona.

It is winter in Arizona, so it is cooler right now than in the summer. I'd say the warmest the mercury climbed to was about 22 degrees Celsius (for all intents and purposes the rest of this post will be in Celsius unless I say otherwise), and it would cool down in the evenings to about 8 degrees or so.

To me, coming from Manitoba, this is warm. Not hot, but warm. I wore shorts and sandals pretty much every day, and even Sarah (who gets cold infinitely sooner than I do) wore a skirt for a day or two. I definitely stood out as a tourist, because to natives of Arizona, it was cold.

For example, while golfing (in shorts and a t-shirt, though admittedly I probably could have worn a long-sleeve shirt or a windbreaker) I saw the beverage cart girl drive up to us. She was wearing a hooded sweatshirt (with the hood up), mitts, and a scarf over her face.

While at the Coyotes game, two guys behind me were talking about the possibility of Phoenix playing some games in Saskatchewan, and about how cold it is there. One of the guys commented that it was cold enough in Phoenix that day that he pulled out his parka. I couldn't help but turn around and talk the weather with them.

Some businesses actually have outdoor heaters set up. The Hilton had four heaters outside their entrance so you'd be warmed up on your way in the door. When we were last in Arizona for Joel and Ashley's wedding, the venue set up heaters at our outdoor dinner table (which I thought were mosquito zappers until someone told me they don't have mosquitoes in Arizona).

Our server at the restaurant in the Hilton had a great point though; while residents of Arizona probably couldn't handle the cold in Manitoba, we Manitobans wouldn't be able to handle their heat in the summer (the average summer high is about 40 degrees Celsius, which means it gets hotter than that!). I think it was a good point, and I for one hope to not visit Arizona in the summertime!

No comments:

Post a Comment