Friday, October 8, 2010

New Dad Stuff

Sarah keeps laughing at me about how involved I am in planning things for the baby. I was the one who found the crib, I've been looking at bedding and strollers online, I even made a 3-D mock-up of the nursery on the computer yesterday so we could look at different paint colour options. Sarah loves that I am so involved but as I say, I think she finds it a little funny too. And based on the online research I've been doing on strollers, crib safety, etc, everything out there is targeted at the moms, not the dads, so I guess maybe I'm not the norm.

I guess I just want to contribute somehow. Sarah is doing all the hard work carrying the baby. She's right in the middle of being a parent already. It just feels to me like the only fatherly thing I can be doing right now is things like constructing furniture and installing new carpets. It's how I feel involved, even though I prefer the design process to the time when I finally lug all of my office stuff down to the basement.

A friend asked me yesterday if I was freaking out yet about being a dad. I haven't freaked out yet, but when I actually allow myself to start thinking about all the little things I easily could freak out. I'm pretty good with kids, they usually tend to like me (especially Westman children for some reason), but that's when they are a little bit older. I'm not as good with infants, so that will be a whole new experience for me.

But for now, the construction side is all I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Mark and I were just saying the other day that Sarah is pretty lucky to get a guy like you who #1- WANTS kids! and #2-likes to get things together (like for your wedding, or upcoming child). I think it's cool.
    Don't freak out, you are going to do just fine! I had a few moments when Riker was a baby, especially the first few weeks where I just didn't know what to do or how concerned to be about certain things and I'm so glad that I called a wonderful Mom who I knew and trusted. She came right over to talk and see for herself and put me so at ease. It's worth it to find a family close by who's opinion you value and you feel comfortable asking any question (even the stupid or embarrassing ones)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Let me know what colors, patterns you pick. ~b

    ReplyDelete