Friday, September 3, 2010

Why I Love Mennville

Mennville really is a great place to live. Even though many of us are not within easy walking distance of each other, there is a true sense of community that I absolutely love.

I thought I'd share a few experiences of mine to highlight just why Mennville is so darn awesome.

The other day my car started making a nasty noise as I was driving through town. Del happened to be on the street as I drove by, and he offered that I could bring the car over to his place and he'd take a look. So over to Del's I went, and after picking up some parts I went back the next day and we worked on the car. I have pretty much zero skills when it comes to fixing a car (I know where the gas and washer fluid go, does that count?), but Del took the time to actually show me how to do things, even when he was probably so frustrated with my lack of skill he wanted to punch me (which I said he could do if he needed to). Del never lost patience with me though, he just helped me when I needed help and let me work away when I didn't. I pretty much cemented my "least manly man in Mennville" post while working on the car!

At the same time as my car problems were going on, I posted a request on Facebook to see if anyone was going to be in Arborg with a truck, since I needed to get my now-fixed lawnmower home. I quickly had three replies offering to help me out, and Corey brought it home for me in the back of his van.

My car is still in Del's shop, so a phone call later and Lindsey said she'd drive me to work!

I don't know how I'd survive living in the country without such great friends and neighbors all around.

Another act of kindness that struck me as being awesome was again a result of Facebook. Jared had put up on his status that he could really go for a cold Pepsi, as he was out combining in a field. Shortly thereafter, Anita offers to bring him one and from what I could see on Facebook she did just that.

So for all of my fellow bloggers that live or lived in Mennville, I put this challenge out to you; why do you love Mennville? Let us know!

1 comment:

  1. Theres lots of things that I love about small town life, but if we're talking about Mennville in particular...
    I love how people invite each other over for meals, especially on Sundays. I love the Ministerial!!! I loved our youth leadership team and the awesome meetings we used to have, full of laughing and authentic searching for God's heart. I loved that some mystery person would come and clear our long driveway in bad snowstorms. I love that Stan and his shop were always available to help us two poor inept people with our Frankenstein Sidekick. I love that Agnes taught me to quilt and Mrs.Reimer taught me to knit. I love that Mrs.Friesen made us a quilt for our bed...when we tried it on our King size bed I was shocked that it fit. When I asked her how she knew what size to make it, she said she just thought that it was about as tall as Mark and then made it square! I love that it doesn't feel like just an area filled with a bunch of random people...it feels like family. We love it all over again every time we visit!

    ReplyDelete