Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Speaking Greek in English


While attending the BCBC 40th Anniversary celebration this past week-end, I got to spend some time with my good buddy Riker. Riker is turning 8 years old this year (I hope I've got that right; I can barely keep my own age straight), and is growing up fast! He is quickly becoming schooled in the art of trash talking; he challenged me to a game of torpedo ball and then promptly called me "old man". My former name of "JayBoaz" (as the Westman kids usually call me) has been replaced with "old man". I perhaps made the mistake of asking Riker if that meant Sarah is the old lady...

Anyway, while sharing lunch together, Riker and I were quizzing each other on Transformers. I have fond memories of the Transformers cartoon from my childhood, and actually have it on DVD. Riker has borrowed my Beast Wars DVDs before, and now he and his dad are working through their own set of the Transformers cartoon. Riker also spends time reading about the Transformers on-line.

So Riker would ask me "Who do you think my favourite Predacon is?" I would proceed to rattle off several Predacons from the Beast Wars series. Waspinator. Inferno. Rampage. Finally I guessed Quickstrike and was right.

So we went back and forth, me guessing Riker's favourites, then Riker guessing mine. At one point, when discussing Decepticons, Sarah tried to participate in the Decepticon debate by suggesting Optimus Prime. Riker and I looked at each other, partially amused and partially shocked. We informed Sarah that Optimus Prime is an Autobot, not a Decepticon.

I then thought about it for a moment, and asked her, "It sounds like we're speaking another language, doesn't it?" She confirmed that yes, the nuances of Cybertronian lifeforms were an alien language to her.

Clearly our schools need to spend more time on the important things in life, like the difference between an Autobot Headmaster and a Predacon Transmetal.

2 comments:

  1. if they did I'm sure the boys would be telling us how much they LOVE school and the girls would be complaining mercilessly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, there's romance in Transformers! Black Arachnia and Silverbolt were an item in Beast Wars...Riker can fill you in I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete