Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Canadian Television

I read an article today about Alberta's Culture Minister making comments that "Canadian TV is crap".

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2010/06/16/calgary-blackett-banff-television-comments-backlash.html?ref=fh,www.mymanitoba.com

He's taking a lot of flack for it, but honestly, I can't really say that I disagree with him (before he backpedaled). When I think of good Canadian programming (excluding sports coverage, which is excellent), I have trouble thinking of a lot of candidates. The ones that come to mind are:

Corner Gas
Canada's Worst Driver/Handyman
Battle of the Blades
Dragon's Den

Honorable mentions to programs that have been out of production for a few years - Royal Canadian Air Farce, the Red Green Show, The Littlest Hobo, and old school Degrassi

I really can't think of any other Canadian programs I really enjoy watching, to be honest. I think one of our problems is Canadian programming has to feature the best Canadian for the job. Compare that to the United States, where it's not the best American for the job, it's the best person for the job, period.

I have to wonder if we cut down on the Canadian quotas (for crew, actors, etc) in our television and film industry, if that would in fact strengthen what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment