Monday, March 22, 2010

Corner Hiccups for Mayor

Corner Gas has to be one of my all-time favourite television shows. Each main character brought something special to the show, and being a rural prairie boy myself I loved seeing a show in that setting. I was sad to see the show end after it's 6th season, but happy at the same time that it went out strong (though season 5 was kind of shaky).

Now we have two new shows starring some of the Corner Gas alumni, and featuring a lot of the behind-the-camera talent from the show as well; Hiccups and Dan for Mayor. While watching commercials for these shows, I thought the characters the Corner Gas actors were portraying looked pretty familiar. But I thought I'd give the shows a chance.

After watching a few episodes of each show, I have to conclude that Hiccups has simply moved Brent and Wanda out of the gas station and into Vancouver, and Hank is running for mayor. The new shows aren't grabbing me like Corner Gas did, because the rest of the cast is missing. Other than a name and scenery change, Hiccups has 2 Corner Gas characters and Dan for Mayor has one. And unfortunately, none of them are Oscar!

Seriously, if you're a Corner Gas fan, give these shows a try, you might like them. The style of humour is very similar, so for some that may be a good thing. I just can't get past the fact that these are the same characters with different names and supporting cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment