Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It's What I Know

Recently I've been struggling with a lack of an outlet to express myself creatively, and after giving it some thought I decided that maybe I should give blogging another try. I used to have a blog at http://jayboaz.blogspot.com, but don't bother checking the link, it no longer exists. I grew dissatisfied with my blogging experience at that address, and I think I have now figured out why.

I was writing what I thought my readers wanted to see, not necessarily what I wanted to write.

One of the first rules of writing is "Write what you know", and I think I kind of ignored that to cater to what I thought my blog readers wanted to see. As such I think the blog suffered, and so did I as a writer. Therefore, that cardinal rule of writing is what inspires the name of my new blog. I am going to be writing about what I want to discuss, period. I think that is how you get the best writing, and even if it is a topic that you, the reader, may not have been interested in previously, I hope that I am able to gain your interest through my exploration of the subject.

I don't know necessarily what I will be writing about yet, but it will be diverse. I won't be writing about things like American politics or the NFL draft, because really, I know very little about these things and don't care to learn about them. Sometimes I will be writing strictly about my opinion on something, other times I may go for a more educational approach. Some topics I'm sure to touch on at some point are my personal life, comic books, amateur/youth sports, cartoons, video games, basically whatever strikes MY fancy, not what I may mistakenly believe others want to read about.

So in closing, I ask of you two things. One, please forgive me for breaking the cardinal rule of writing on my previous blog, and two, please join me as I explore What I Know.

4 comments:

  1. Yay, Jay you are returning to the world of blogging! We missed you. I look forward to hearing from you. Also . . .

    First comment! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give Mark the first comment, but echo what he said!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay I am excited to read your blog and explore what interests you have. It is a great way to stay connected, and learn about new things. (for example the comic con that I knew little about) Look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete